Saturday, January 17, 2009

The ice-skating rink

The strip of land between our house and the next has become an ice-skating rink. I'm not joking...look at this picture! The water is pumped out from below our basement, an arrangement that I believe is called a sump-pump. Funny story about the sump-pump; a huge rain storm hit our town before we signed on the house but after the sellers had moved. Worried, the sellers asked us to do something...anything. Nate met our realtor out here with a 50-ft extension cord. Using his Spanish skills, he made arrangments with our neighbors to plug the sump pump extension cord into their basement electrical outlet (as our power was yet to be turned on). Anyway, this sump pump could be a blessing (no flooding durring heavy rains) but it is also turning out to be an icy burden. We aren't quite sure what to do about the problem now; we do have plans to divert the water to our GARDEN in the spring.
I can't help but include some cute photos of Mayumi. Not being a photoshop pro, I have not even tried to eliminate Yumi's evil red-eye from this photo.
I AM able to switch my camera setting to black-and-white and sepia tone:
And finally, I cannot resist--I must include a video (worth a bazillion words, my friend Micah said). Speaking of words...see if you can pull any out of the following monologue:

6 comments:

Meg said...

hey hil- the videos ARE too cute. mayumi is darling. maggie likes to watch them too. are you still making a trip in jan?

Perry Family said...

Sump-pump...sounds not fun! and I love the video of mayumi!

Perry Family said...

hilary, mark looked up the book you wanted. it is out of print, but we still found the book! So mark is pricing it out and we'll let you know!

Perry Family said...

Do you know what edition you want? There is one from the 50's, one from 72, and one from 81. And there are hard and soft back versions.

Amber Henrie said...

Are you converting her to Islam? I heard Allah and Dadda. :) I love Mayumi and next time I see her she's going to be huge! ps - I found a copy of the Quran in english and I'm going to read it. Have you?

Lindsay said...

"I miss Auntie Lindsay! I want her. I want to see her! Come on Mom take me to her house!"